- 1/43rd scale
Morris Motors was founded in Cowley, Oxford, in 1913 when bicycle manufacturer William Morris launched his first car, the Oxford 'Bullnose'. In order to celebrate their Diamond Jubilee, Morris produced a special edition Marina 1.8 TC 4-door costing £1,500, which was £362 more than a standard TC. One was supplied to every BL dealer in the UK for the M registration of 1st August 1973. All were in a new colour, 'Citron' and featured a black vinyl-roof, black door-mirrors, dual-layer black pinstripe, navy blue cloth seats, Sundym glass, front fog lights, citron-trimmed grille, side repeaters, and 'Jubilee' wing badges. The Marina Owners Club believes only 5 roadworthy examples of the 2000 produced remain.
The 'Jubilee' modelled is owned by Sussex-based enthusiast Paul Viney who restored it over a 3 year period ending in 2010. He was inspired to do this because, when he was a child his Uncle, Keith Best, had bought a new Marina Jubilee in 1973 and Paul had loved it. He was subsequently given his Uncle's car as a surprise present on his 16th birthday and, after some work, put it on the road on his 17th. He passed his test 4 months later and, sadly, wrote it off after only 11 days. Twenty years later Paul decided to find and restore a Marina Jubilee and his immaculate current car, which has the Leyland Special Tuning steering wheel off the original, is the result.
Engine: 1798cc 4IL OHV
Maximum speed: 100mph
Produced: 659,852 (all Marina cars)